I made this for my little one as a bit of a joke (he is going to hate me when he is 18 and all these pictures surface!). Anyway. I made it up as I went. It was very quick, it took maybe an hour or so to make and is made from Robin Super Chunky in Silver and an 8mm hook.
- Make a magic loop, chain 2 and make 6hdc (us) into the loop.
- 2 hdc in each stitch. (12)
- 2 hdc in each stitch (24)
- (2 hdc in first stitch, 1 in next) repeat 12 times. (36)
- Hdc in each stitch (36) repeat until it is long enough. (I made a little point on the front of my hat. In the middle of the last round I did a hdc as normal, dc in next, tc in next, dc in next and carried on with the hdc as normal until the end.)
The hat was a bit big for him (he is 4 months old), to be honest it will probably fit him next year too, for a similar size or smaller baby I would reduce the number of stitches next time. For an adult I would add an extra row of increase before you start the body of the hat.
For the ears I made each separately and sewed them on at the end. I used double crochet instead of half double as I wanted the ears to be a bit more floppy. The turning chain counts as the first dc throughout.
- Chain 7 + 2 for turning
- Double crochet in third chain from hook. Dc in each stitch. (7) Chain 2.
- (Skip 1st stitch. 6dc.) repeat 6 times. Chain 2.
- Skip 1st stitch. 1dc. Dc3tog, dc,dc. (5) Chain 2
- Skip 1st stitch. 4dc. (5) Chain 1
- Skip 1st. Hdc, dc, hdc, sc, chain 1. (5) Repeat twice.
- (Dc 2 tog) x2. Finish off. Sew in ends and stitch to hat.
I hope you enjoy this!